[email* your-email placeholder "Your Email"]
[submit "Submit"]

Long Distance Love

1024 683 Lauren Kennedy

I have come to notice that I am often caught up in the excitement of the reason for a life change and forget to stop and ponder the adjustment that lies ahead. To explain: almost three years ago, I packed up a u-haul and moved permanently to the beautiful and bustling city of Los Angeles. After a year and a half of long distance dating, I was over-the-moon about being in the same city as my fiance, and I could not wait to marry my best friend. The wedding planning was in full force, we were looking for a house, I was trying to make my short-term apartment cozy, and the city was so new – where do I get my favorite almond milk latte? Pilates? Yoga? Friends? So much adrenaline and anticipation filled my body, that the thought of leaving the comfort of home did not fully enter my brain. Reality started kicking in slowly but surely, and Jason was the sweetest comfort and helper in making this adjustment do-able!

It is so interesting how adjustment truly takes time. After three years, I feel like my family and I are all finally getting into such a good and manageable routine of visiting each other and intentionally carving out quality time together. There is always the effort of keeping life at a healthy balance – we all have jobs and husbands and travel and friends and on and on the list goes. It has taken a lot of learning and missing (aka homesickness), and trial and error to get this rhythm in tact.

What has helped the most in this long distance scenario is being aware of what truly fills up my soul: long walks with my mom, bike rides with my dad, long conversations around the kitchen table, my parent’s health-filled home cooked meals, sweet time with my twin, holding precious baby Kate, Pilates with my bestie, coffee with my friends. I have to create trips that are not filled with appointments and work events. I have to plan trips where my time is open and my family is first priority. I now leave feeling so renewed and full of life, filled with fresh ambition to return home and continue adjusting to a new state.

Another key that has brought so much freedom: accepting life as it is and walking confidentially in the path the Lord has put in front of me (thank you to my dad for this nugget of wisdom and truth!). For so long, I was daydreaming about moving back to Dallas with Jason, and it limited me from flourishing in this new city. Live in freedom. Be grateful. Accept new shifts and seasons, and live fruitfully in the change.

Are you going through any big life changes? How are you learning to adjust? We would love to hear from you in the comment sections! xo

OUTFIT DETAILS

top | sunnies (c/o) | pants | shoes (c/o) | scarf (c/o) similar option

6 comments
  • Ashley

Beautiful, Lo! As a former Atlantan, I really struggled moving to Birmingham as a newlywed and leaving my family, friends, church and job behind. You’re right – adjusting to a different pace of life takes time! I’ve learned the beauty of surrender and finding freedom right where I am. One day, I’ll look back on this time and smile, and maybe even wish I had given this season more of a chance. Love how we all find things in common, even if its in our struggles. Thanks for sharing!

• Mary

You are so inspiring Lauren! I really admire you and your attitude and wanted to tell you that first 🙂 I am was born & raised in Dallas and have always thought about moving to LA. I ended up moving to Denver for my fiance and love it here but make him go to socal pretty often with me 🙂 Its almost funny how one day you look around and realize you have built your own happy life somewhere other than where you are from or thought you would end up. Love this post and think you & Jason are such a great couple!

• Ashley

This is so true – and still so real to me. Almost 3 years ago I moved to London from Cape Town. I was recently married and completely caught up in the excitement of setting up my new life with my hubby. He is the most supportive, loving and incredible man – and remarkably patient with me! Several months in and I started realising that I didn’t have the network of family and friends that I was used to. Going from being very social and active, I became a home body and started to lose a lot of confidence. My mum and I are very close and it’s been very hard being a 12 hour flight from her. It’s been a real journey but I feel God has taken me (and us) through so much over the last few years – fast forward to today and we celebrate my son’s 5 month birthday and one more big move – this time to Cornwall. I feel so much more prepared and so much more confident now to go out, meet people, explore the area and relax in God’s goodness as He has made this possible for us. It’s still a journey and I still miss the closeness of my family and good friends, but I’m in a much better, more confident place and am excited to see what Cornwall brings us as a family. Thank you, Lauren, for your continual honesty and humour – you are a blessing and I’m sure an absolute joy in person 🙂 much love x Ashley

• Whitney McIntosh

I too, have been through the same life change on the opposite coast! Moving from Dallas to Charlotte, NC after being married in November. As things slowed down after the holidays, I faced a very hard realization I just left everything I’ve known for 25 years!

Lauren, I want you to know about my twin sister, Emily (Warren) Landers who lives in Malibu with her husband Luke! I just know y’all would have a sweet time over coffee or Pilates! She can relate with this post as well, moving from Dallas to Malibu a couple years ago!

Thank you for this post, it really encouraged me. Adjustment to change really does take TIME and this has encouraged me to find my identity in a Christ. His love for me NEVER changes and I can rest confidently in his promises!!

• Raquel

This blog is coming at such perfect timing… my husband and I just got stationed in Japan and it’s definitely quite the adjustment. Living overseas is such an amazing opportunity but is also quite the adjustment! Just taking one day at a time 🙂

• Mackenzie Gantz

I recently started a company (this past February 2017) called Compliment Card Co.- “greeting cards to encourage” and just this past weekend I began to doubt this path because shocker I had my first trial. Praying in this season of new beginnings and change I trust God to lead me and sanctify me- doing it scared.