This last month has been my version of heaven. My best friend, twin sister, other dear friend, my mother in law, and then my parents have all come into town back to back. These people are my people and time with them makes my heart extra full. It also has been extra nice settling into our home and taking a break from getting on a plane. Not to mention, the sweetest little pup joined our family!
As y’all may know, we are about a month away from our house being filled with furniture and styled. Right now, it is a work in progress AKA the time of waiting and anticipation. For a 9 on the enneagram (me!), the unfinished-ness of our home equates to the feeling of being unsettled, but it has also been really good because I feel like it puts me in the present. It has simultaneously made me realize that people love to live in the present with me; the importance is not on the visual, but rather the sweet time together. Such a learning lesson for life!
All of this had me extra focused on what I could do to make our visitors feel extra cozy and at home. At our core, we all want to feel at home when we are not home.
A FEW TIPS:
- Put a cozy robe on the back of their bathroom door.
- Get a suitcase stand so they have a place to organize their things.
- Make sure there are hangers in their closet.
- Put shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and body lotion in their bathroom. (this saves the effort, space and time they have to take to pack them!)
- Prior to their arrival, ask what they eat and drink (coffee/tea/kombucha) on the daily and make sure you are fully stocked.
- Plan the days based on their preferred pace; spread out the activities and make them relaxing!
- Do things they love to do at home; watch the Bachelor, cook dinner, enjoy a glass of wine.
- Diffuse essential oils in their room.
- Put fresh flowers on their nightstand + a convenient phone charger.
What are your favorite things to do when you are hosting someone? And what do you love most when someone is hosting you?